The Hon. Gladys Berejiklian MP, NSW Premier
The Hon. Mark Speakman, MP, NSW Attorney General, and Minister for the Prevention of Domestic Violence
The Hon. Bronnie Taylor, MLC, NSW Minister for Mental Health, Regional Youth and Women
Dear Premier and Ministers,
We believe every person has the right to be safe and to live free from violence. Yet one in five women experience sexual violence and one in four women experience violence by a current or former partner. This is why we are calling on you to make NSW A Safe State.
Will you commit to:
1. Create cultural change to prevent violence and promote gender equality.
2. Provide immediate and ongoing support for people experiencing violence.
3. Ensure people experiencing violence have a safe home.
4. Ensure people experiencing violence can access justice safely.
5. Enable Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples to lead change to end violence.
6. Be accountable to specialist workers and the wider community.
Will you make NSW A Safe State by acting on our recommendations for change?
A Safe State has been developed by the NSW Women's Alliance, which brings together a range of organisations working with women and children experiencing sexual, domestic and family violence. You can find the full policy platform at safensw.org.au.
I hope you will act to make NSW safe for everyone.